Sunday, December 18, 2016

Weather drama

When I got up, rivulets of condensation ran across the patio.  The birds slept in.  Eventually a Carolina wren came for mealworms and a downy woodpecker for suet.  The tide was extremely low thanks to the West wind.  That attracted hoodies, egrets, and cormorants.  Finally an oriole arrived.  A crow cursed at a buzzard in the sweet gum.

The sky was clear blue at noon but the creek was very rough.  There were gusts that made me worry about the feeders.  The two male orioles continued their competition.  After lunch, big cumulus clouds began to blow past.  Pine warblers appeared, then titmice and nuthatches.  It was so warm, about 75°F, that I opened the door.  Honey bees were busy in the camellia and I saw a wasp.  Alerted by its rattle, I glimpsed a kingfisher, but it didn't wait for me to focus. 

By 3:30pm the clouds were congealing and getting dark.  Gulls and other waterfowl tossed on the wind, catching the sunlight while the sky behind them grew darker.  It soon grew too dark for photography and rain began around 4pm.  The temperature was dropping too.  A wren slipped in for a last minute snack.


No comments:

Post a Comment