Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Rain

K has dubbed this "flutter day" because the oak leaves are fluttering off the trees and around the yard.  While wind stripped the dogwood and cherry trees, the oak leaves seemed to respond more to the gentle rain.  White throats scurried around the shrubbery.  Downy woodpeckers visited the suet while chickadees ate seeds.  The oriole delicacies dissolved in rainwater.

 Mid morning, the song sparrow was back.  I also saw a nuthatch on the feeder. As I was leaving for the pool, I surprised two flickers and a bunch of white throats under the driveway shrubbery.  The flickers took off.  The wind and rain felt pretty cold. 

When we got back from lunch, there was a downy on the suet and another on the post.  Suddenly something (hawk?) swooped down on them and pursued one woodpecker around the corner of the house.  The finch on the seed feeder never moved.  I think it may be blind on the left side.

Nothing was out on the water which was quite high.  A lacewing took refuge on my window.  Darkness put an early end to a cold, wet, dreary day.  However, I still had a meeting.  Heavier rain came in waves as I drove to Norfolk and then a deluge struck when I was just blocks away.  I had to wade through water over my ankles.  But at least most of it had drained away before I headed home.  My shoes will never be the same. 


No comments:

Post a Comment