Friday, December 2, 2016

Bright and chilly

I had an early excursion and didn't really start watching till I got home.  White throats were everywhere.  At least two red breasted nuthatches wanted seeds and suet.  The male oriole was back and finished off the jelly.  Fortunately K bought more.  Either the jelly or the mealworms made the oriole thirsty.  Doves and juncos poked around below the feeder.  Then a Carolina wren cleaned out the mealworm dish. 

At lunch, the downy and the oriole were back.  A brown headed nuthatch came for a drink right after I cleaned and refilled the birdbath.  It must have been watching.  I saw a couple of egrets soar overhead.  A flock of crows milled around and I hoped for a hawk but didn't see any reason for their behavior.  I also glimpsed a kingfisher zooming past.

As shadows grew long, a live great blue heron preened on the dock opposite the bronze statue of one.  Geese and mallards paddled below.  Then a male kingfisher landed on the boatlift across the creek and I realized that a female with a fish was sitting on our dock bench.  Just as the battery died, a male hoodie paddled by.   The male kingfisher moved to the top of the purple martin birdhouse where I saw it dive but couldn't tell if it caught anything. 


No comments:

Post a Comment