Saturday, November 18, 2017

Mostly gray

Breakfast was enlivened by a bluebird that was soon scared off and a red bellied woodpecker that I only got one lousy photo of.  There were titmice, white throated sparrows, chickadees and house finches as well.  The sky was gray but around mid morning it began to clear. 

When I got out of my meeting the gray had returned. During lunch, a couple of turkey vultures made repeated passes overhead.  When I went outside later I saw why.  Something meaty-looking was draped over a dead branch exposed by low tide.  But the buzzard would have had to risk landing on the mud to reach whatever it was, and the bird decided against it.  Wisely, I think.  Two male buffleheads were out on the creek along with the mallards.  The water was rough from the wind. 

One white throated sparrow looked like it had a song sparrow somewhere in its family tree.  It had a dark spot on its chest and black stripes through its white throat.  But it also had the yellow lores of a white throat. The beauty berries were no longer magenta, just red and brown.  The caterpillar was still beside the parsley but I didn't see it move. 


No comments:

Post a Comment