Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanks giving

I am thankful I live where I can enjoy the natural world.  The wildlife slept in this morning.  A male bufflehead popped to the creek surface occasionally and several pelicans cruised over the water.  Around noon the feeders got attention.  In addition to chickadees, house finches, and titmice, I saw one male pine warbler and one yellow rumped warbler and a male downy woodpecker.

On the ground among the white throated sparrows was a song sparrow and the first junco of the season.  Squirrels were not grateful for the hot pepper flakes in the suet, or the squirrel-proof seed feeder, and they quickly cleaned out the mealworms, bending the shepherd's crook hanger in the process.

As we were leaving for the communal church dinner, I saw a male hooded merganser on the creek.  The sky was streaky with stratus clouds that dimmed the sunlight.  In Norfolk there were gulls and mallards. 

And, as I came out of the church, up in a hackberry tree was a cat with striped extremities and spotted flanks like an ocelot. Some Googling revealed there is a breed called an ocicat.  In any case, it was in the tree (eye level to me at the top of the steps) because a flock of birds was gobbling hackberries.  I couldn't identify the birds because they were back-lighted by the sky.  By the time we returned, the light was dropping too low for a clear photo, but I could identify a Carolina wren among the white throats.  The male cardinal was back.  Sunset was very pink in every direction, even Northeast.


No comments:

Post a Comment