Friday, March 23, 2018

Clear sky

White throats scampered under the azaleas.  A yellow rumped warbler quickly found the mealworms I restocked.  Later, when I was ready to leave, there were three geese on the pool cover.  On the way home I saw an oak tree in flower but our tree was not quite ready. 

The red breasted mergansers floated below the dam.  The surface of the creek was undisturbed except by bird wakes.  Downy woodpeckers worked on the suet.  A junco feasted on sunflower seeds. 

After our lunch a bluebird pair arrived for theirs.  A starling tried to take over the mealworm dish, but I scared it off.  The male bluebird has learned some trust that I am only after the starling.  Smart bird!  When the bluebirds were full, a warbler moved in.  The female bluebird watched from the dogwood. 

The red haired gray squirrel foraged along with its grayer relatives.  A pair of buffleheads preened together.  The drake was distinctly the larger.  By mid afternoon the creek had roughened.  Shovelers fed on the quieter lake.  A grebe passed a hoodie on the creek. 

Sunset was golden and there were scattered clouds.  When I went outside after dark the first quarter moon was sharp but I couldn't get a good photo. 


No comments:

Post a Comment