Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Lots of birds

I was busy before lunch and got no photos of all the pelicans fishing.  They were making spectacular dives.  The sky grew more cloudy.  At lunch, the butterbutt hung under the feeder and stuffed itself.  Then it kept an eye out from a twig.  A robin also watched. Downy and red bellied woodpeckers took turns on the suet.  One dove had lost the contour feathers from one wing.  Blue jays crammed a row of bark butter balls down the length of their beaks. 

The red breasted mergansers hung out by the dam except when fish were sighted elsewhere.  A heron and a pelican flew in together. At least seven shoveler drakes were out on the lake.  Late in the afternoon I saw a male hoodie. 

 K threw out some fancy rice that she had begun to cook by mistake.  Only the doves paid any attention. One squirrel seemed scared of the rice.  My guess is that the rice smelled faintly beafy.  One of the pesky starlings turned out to be a female red winged blackbird. Other starlings watched me hoping I would leave. 

A female oriole visited briefly.  I wonder if it was the same one I saw before.  Then bluebirds arrived.  White throats scurried around.  The female red bellied woodpecker kept trying to eat suet like a pileated, while clinging to the post, but she couldn't quite reach it  She licked the suet with a long tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment