Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Wet

There were only scattered clouds at first.  The air was cold enough to make my breath smoke.  A squirrel was acting squirrelly at breakfast.  It was doing backflips off tree trunks and other silliness.  Spring madness, showing off for an unseen audience, some kind of squirrel catnip?  Blue jays were happy I restocked the mealworm dish.  Downy woodpeckers appreciated the reduced competition for suet. 

On the creek red breasted mergansers continued to patrol and fish.  There have been more of them hanging around longer this year than I can remember. The redbuds were beginning to swell and turn pink.  I found some puffballs emerging through the moss and looking so much like feces I had to pry one up to be sure.  By mid morning the sky was overcast.

Yellow rumped warblers, juncos, and white throated sparrows joined us for lunch.  Then a light rain began.  Carolina wrens were not discouraged.  They even figured out how to reach the suet.  However the light grew weaker and the camera struggled.  I was amazed that a butterbutt picked such a cold, rainy day to bathe. 


No comments:

Post a Comment