Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Just ducky

I left at dawn which was a lovely glow in the rear view mirror.  When I got back, the sapsucker was very busy in the pecan tree,   The colorless myrtle warbler was eating bark butter.

The temperature had shot up from near freezing to pleasant for sitting.  That's when I missed the kingfisher - nothing but his cackle remained. The tide was way out, very low for a third quarter moon.  A nuthatch defied me to get to the seeds which it took to a favored spot in the dogwood to hammer.  Turtles basked on a log in the lake. 

After lunch, I saw the Carolina wrens.  The bark butter seems to be their favorite.  I went back outside and upset a little flock of hooded mergansers.  Some of them retired to the lake.  A titmouse perched in the redwood and ran through its repertoire.

 A couple of bufflehead drakes paddled and dived. Then I saw a pair of ring neck ducks.  I'd never seen a female before.  I had my first osprey sighting of the year, but no photo.   A pair of mallards nibbled at something on the underside of a bulkhead beam exposed by the low tide.  Then a wood duck pair did the same thing.  Well, he mostly guarded her while she nibbled.  It was getting chilly so I came in.


No comments:

Post a Comment