Monday, February 25, 2019

Windy

It was sunny all day and the temperature was mild, but the wind stripped the warmth off exposed skin.  A Carolina wren greeted me at breakfast.  White throats were busy as well.  A half dozen cormorants fished their way upstream.

The warblers, myrtle and pine, came for lunch as did a lone red-winged blackbird.  A red breasted nuthatch once again got seeds without getting photographed.  The goldfinch watched from the pine tree.  Crows played with the wind.

The house finches had a little drama - one of two males brought the female a gift.  He was allowed on the feeder perch with her, but not the other male.  A titmouse just wanted a seed but got caught up in the play.

I went out to weed which naturally upset the birds.  I found a nice clump of pincushion moss Leucobryum glaucum.  There were some robins in the trees and I think I saw a cedar waxwing.  I definitely saw a pied bill grebe.  And by then I was half frozen and came in.


No comments:

Post a Comment