Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Windy

It was overcast at first, but a brisk wind blew the clouds away.  I was late and a chickadee was waiting for me on the feeder.  Soon it was joined by cardinals and titmice.  White throats, downy woodpeckers, pine and myrtle warblers all came for their respective breakfasts.

Bright sun spotlighted a male kingfisher whacking a fish as hw sat on the back of the dock bench.  Once the fish was in his tummy, he lightened his load in three squirts.  The wind caught his breast feathers and, for an instant, I thought it was the fish squirming inside.

Around lunch time, a pelican dropped in - to the creek.  The two female downy woodpeckers got into a fight all through the trees.

When I settled in for a late lunch, brown headed nuthatches did too.  Myrtle warblers also came looking for an afternoon snack.  I went out with friends in the evening, and since I wasn't in my car I had no way to photograph a spectacular sunset. 


No comments:

Post a Comment