Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Gorgeous day!

Bright sunshine, breezy with low humidity, and only in the mid 80s, that's my description of a perfect summer day. There were big bees, little bees, even a rescued honeybee, and wasps, of course. 

A duskywing skipper turned out to have a bright edge to its wings when the light caught it as a certain angle.  A buckeye could not stay away from the mountain mint.  A black swallowtail was focused on egg-laying.  A palamedes swallowtail rested on the gone-to-seed parsley for so long I thought it was caught in a web.  But when I came close to check, the butterfly took off.  Then a red spotted purple danced through the cherry.  I also glimpsed a tiger swallowtail. 

I rescued a woodlouse hunter twice, and a couple of sidewalk tiger beetles.  I also fished out small insects I think were nymphs of mole crickets.  A few dragonflies made brief appearances.  I spotted a June beetle in the top of the cherry tree when I was looking for dragonflies.. 

The molting pine warbler returned.  There were frequent hummer refueling stops.  A family of blue jays all got bark butter balls to go.  One blue jay had gone bald.  Even a bluebird looked pretty ragged.  But a Carolina wren scolded everyone because I was too close to the bark butter.  


No comments:

Post a Comment