Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Hurricane Isaias

Isaias had calmed to tropical storm status by the time it arrived here.  A little before 1:00am my phone blasted a siren to announce a tornado warning.  I couldn't even hear any wind.  By morning there was plenty of wind thrashing the trees but I didn't see any damage in our yard.  I did see debris in the creek, downstream.  Maybe an inch of rain fell, or rather blew in on a West wind.  

The sun started coming through rents in the clouds around 10:00am.  Chickadees found the seed feeder that K had set down on the concrete.  We rehung planters and feeders.  A brown thrasher had some bark butter.  A blue jay saw me watching and flew off.  Crows were eating figs and trying to teach a fledgling to do the same.  It was really funny to watch. 

Insects swarmed the flowers like they were starved.  A black swallowtail and what I believe was a dark-morph tiger swallowtail fed on the butterfly milkweed.  A fiery skipper preferred the mountain mint despite the wasps. 

A female common whitetail dragonfly had an advantage because they stay low out of the wind.  Later I saw a blue dasher and a slaty skimmer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment