Saturday, August 1, 2020

Thunder and drizzle

Because rain was predicted, and the clouds cooled us down below 90, I put out a tub of bark butter instead of the balls.  Bluebirds, blue jays, a Carolina wren, a downy woodpecker, and brown thrashers were pleased. I switched out the regular hummingbird feeder for the cheap one that sheds rain better.  However, it has no perches and the hummers were not pleased. 

I rescued a camel cricket.  Usually I'm too late and have to fish out a corpse.  A biting fly drove me into the house.  I suppose it anticipated rain pools for its eggs, fortified with my protein.  Two fiery skippers fed on the mountain mint with the wasps.  The blue digger wasps were back. Blue dashers took the low perches, along with slaty skimmers, while a Halloween pennant stayed at treetop height. According to Allissa Bunner, I was not the only one to notice a scarcity of butterflies this summer.

Skinks came out and scurried around on whatever important business demanded their attention on the other side of the patio.  The last, I think, hibiscus flower bloomed, at least until a new batch of buds form. 

A brown headed nuthatch came to the seed feeder.  The bluebirds were feeding another set of nestlings.  I saw a mockingbird out front, as well. 

We waited and waited for the rain which finally started after 6pm.  Lots of thunder and gusty winds accompanied a meager drizzle.  I dashed out to plant assorted sunflower seeds, packed for this year, so I was late.  But nothing sprouted from the previous packets.  The trick is to get them in and wet and germinating before the birds or squirrels dig them up.  Sunset escaped the edge of the clouds and cast lurid color on them.


No comments:

Post a Comment