Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Hawk attack

The hibiscus was covered with flowers and a daisy decided to bloom again.  A skimmer perched and two yellow-bodied dragonflies darted back and forth about ten feet up in the air.  I had no hope of photographing them.  All kinds of wasps and bees gathered on the mountain mint.

I spent too much of the day inside on video-conferences.  A Coopers hawk crashed into the window behind me. I turned and saw it fly off with empty talons, so no harm done.  Shortly after that I escaped outside to a hot sun in a cloudless sky.  A couple of small butterflies were attracted to the mountain mint.  One was a snout and the other a red-banded hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops).  A black swallowtail laid eggs but a monarch just kept going - male? 

A cricket rescued itself from the water using one of my escape sticks.  I rescued a millipede but it wouldn't wait for a photo.  Huge carpenter bees fed on the tiny mountain mint flowers.  A full grown wheelbug flew in to a landing on a hibiscus bug.  More caterpillars ate rue.

Several skinks were around.  A disheveled bluebird rested on the fence.  A blue jay sampled the melted bark butter.  And then I went back to more meetings.  I did sneak out after dark and catch the moon and Jupiter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment