Wednesday, January 20, 2021

A gulp of cormorants

Two female orioles fed on the barkbutter balls while I was making my cereal, but I didn't see them again.  Both red bellied woodpeckers visited today, though not at the same time.  Two Carolina wrens showed up together, as always. Downy woodpeckers hopped onto the suet when the larger woodpeckers left.  The feeder birds frequently spooked although I did not see the cat, so I suspect a hawk.  

Toward evening I noticed over fifty cormorants on the lake, some in the water and some drying out.  A great blue heron was supervising.  Gulp is one of the collective nouns for cormorants.  A few small clouds turned pastel and created colorful reflections.  A female hooded merganser drifted downstream and a pair of mallards skimmed the water for whatever nourishment it had.  




No comments:

Post a Comment