Friday, January 1, 2021

More rain

Once again we were about 10" over normal for the year - about 20%.  I keep wondering how many years before "normal" is re-calibrated.  A great blue heron landed on one of the dock posts and stood there like a wet mop. 

The yellow rumped warbler in partly summer plumage was back for more suet.  So were the two Carolina wrens, pine warblers, and the mockingbird.  Bluebirds quarreled with each other and the warblers over it.

Then, to my delight, a ruby crowned kinglet appeared.  I even saw its ruby crown.  A blue jay tried to avoid being seen.  The brown thrasher was less cautious.  Eventually the orioles got a turn on the suet.  Juncos and sparrows and even titmice scurried around in the mulch.  Birds also hunted fallen crumbs from the suet but I couldn't see them because they were at the bottom of the steps.   A dove poked around on the ground.  

From the back room I could see a great blue heron on a snag on the lake. A cormorant paddled in the lake.  Down on the creek, a handful of female buffleheads and one drake fished.  Pelicans flew past.  A kingfisher alighted on a dock post but I think it caught sight of me because it soon left.  A couple of pairs of mallards nosed around the barnacle-encrusted pilings.  Three juncos hopped around outside the window.  The kinglet flitted around in the branches and showed me the red patch on its head. 





No comments:

Post a Comment