Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Quiet

There was some sunshine but a lot more cloud, it seemed to me.  Early in the day, the creek was flat and reflections were sharp.  An egret landed below the dam.  A hooded merganser drake floated alone. 

I restocked the barkbutter balls twice thanks to the greed of blue jays.  Brown thrashers kept showing up when it was empty.  Carolina wrens and that bandit-masked, yellow-rumped warbler joined me for breakfast.  One wren poked through the sunflower seeds, but whether for broken bits or for bugs, I don't know.  I'm fairly sure its beak isn't able to open an intact seed hull.  White throats were busy in the mulch as usual.  They certainly can crack seeds.  

The male Baltimore oriole joined the females for suet.  A male cardinal posed in the dogwood.  The cat spent some more time birdwatching which soon meant there were no birds to watch.  



No comments:

Post a Comment