Monday, December 27, 2021

Red-winged blackbird

Today was overcast with occasional rents in the cloud cover showing a bit of blue sky or even a flicker of sunshine.  While the effect was dreary, the diffuse lighting was great for photos.  The creek was calm with muted reflections.  Pine and yellow rumped warblers were everywhere.  Blue jays and bluebirds devoured barkbutter balls. 

I went to the library to pick up books only to discover they were closed.  Fortunately I brought the camera so I took the opportunity to get pictures of the lichens on the weeping cherry trees in the drive-thru island.  Had they been open, I'm not sure they'd have let me.  From the drive-thru I could see the trunks were festooned with foliose and fruticose beard lichens, possibly Usnea strigosa.  Both kinds were loaded with apothecia disks ready to reproduce.  I left when the camera battery gave out.  

As I came in the house, I saw out the window a pileated woodpecker on the suet.  But it was gone before I got the battery swapped for one that was charged.  So you'll have to take my word for it.  I did get a red bellied woodpecker and, of course, downy woodpeckers.  I believe I got a glimpse of a flicker too, but no good photos of any of them.  So I really appreciate the visit from the red-winged blackbird.  He had his epaulets in full display mode, but also a broken feather sticking out sideways which did not seem to interfere with his flying.  He had a white spot on his head and remnants of brown patterning on his back, causing me to wonder if he was hatched this year.  After foraging for seeds under the feeder, he got a drink, then flew up to the feeder perch for more seeds. 

I got a glimpse of the song sparrow, at least I think it was a song sparrow.  I was looking through furniture.  But bluebirds and warblers dominated the feeders.  Every time I thought a new bird had showed up, it turned out to be a pale warbler. 


No comments:

Post a Comment