Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Windy and cold

The morning was overcast in defiance of the weather prediction.  A pelican soared upstream but I wasn't ready for it.  I refreshed the barkbutter balls to the delight of titmice.  A squirrel liked Cinnamon Chex, unlike K and me. 

By lunch time the sky was clearing and feeder birds flocked in.  I missed shots of the brown thrasher and the red bellied woodpecker on the barkbutter but I got the white breasted nuthatch on the suet.  

Bluebirds continued to puzzle over the seed feeder.  They saw other birds eating but they couldn't find anything edible.  Pine warblers were surprisingly bold defending the suet, even facing down bluebirds twice their size. 

The evening cormorant commute had a backdrop of pink sky and blue clouds.  Alas, that was only 4:30pm.  For all my Scandinavian ancestry, I do not love the shortness of winter days.  I cannot imagine living 20 degrees of latitude further North.

No comments:

Post a Comment