Friday, June 17, 2022

Scorcher

The thermometer was stuck at 99° for hours.  A dragonfly perched on the topmost pine candle.  It might have been a bar-winged skimmer.  I found the gladiolus at the far end of the pool.  Goslings paraded up the creek.  While in the pool I rescued a bumblebee, innumerable beetles, and an earwig. 

I saw dragonflies in flight with spotted wings and wasted camera pixels trying to catch them.  A cicada started its buzz and woke the dog who looked all around for the source of the alarm.  An ant found a defunct beetle and proudly carried it off.  An egret stalked upstream along the bulkhead.  I saw a night heron fly over.  Either vegetation got in the way, or birds refused to pose today

As the fireflies came out, clouds covered the sky, then a little after 8pm, they turned yellow and orange and tore apart.  I thought the show was over and then fat raindrops began to fall.  Not long after I went inside, I started to hear thunder.  The temperature dropped twenty degrees.  


No comments:

Post a Comment