Saturday, June 11, 2022

Insects

Three crows inspected the patio but they didn't give us a report.  Lots of daylilies bloomed in a variety of shapes and colors.  An adult skink chased another across the patio too fast for me. 

A female slaty skimmer fought for possession of a bamboo stake perch.  I didn't get a good look at the other dragonfly.  An assassin bug clung to the window screen.  I disturbed a common whitetail which then flitted around and tested light colored spots on the ground.  This behavior might make sense for the male, which actually has a white tail that blends in, but the brown female was very visible.  

While swimming, I saw a damselfly resting on a floating leaf.  I rescued a firefly.  A leafcutter bee feasted on the butterfly milkweed.  I saw a black bee and a wasp doing the same.  The cage K made seems to be protecting the strawberries while they ripen.  The bluebird pair was back for more barkbutter, but found mostly crumbs and dust.  A female goldfinch only wanted a drink.  A two banded leafhopper settled in on a mountain mint leaf. 

Speaking of settled in, the dog rolled in the violets again.  A male hummer visited the new feeder but flew away before I got him in focus.  Toward evening, I tried to photograph fireflies.  The moon overhead was nearly full, so I photographed it too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment