Monday, June 5, 2023

Big frog

Finally a warm, sunny day, though still breezy.  I was late restocking the dishes.  And the suet was almost gone too.  Blue jays noticed that the barkbutter balls had reappeared.  Mockingbirds wanted suet.  Bluebirds didn't care as long as it was food.  

When I got in the pool, I went to empty the skimmer.  It was packed full of leaves and very heavy.  When I started to shake out the leaves, it came to life and startled me into dropping it.  A furious frog climbed out and shot over my head into the water.   Eventually I located the frog on the bottom of the pool but the camera only saw a blur.  Later it surfaced and I confirmed it was a bullfrog

Both the butterfly milkweed and the mountain mint were close to blooming.  Some wasps appeared to be waiting for the flowers.  

Three species of woodpecker came to work on the worn down nubbin of suet: downy, pileated, and red bellied.  The red bellied woodpecker was a male that had no visible red on his belly.  A Carolina wren wrestled a barkbutter ball into submission.  A molting male cardinal tried to make off with the wren's dinner.  

Geese with two half grown goslings paddled downstream. Something dark flew downstream but all I got was an indistinguishable blur.  Then an egret flew upstream and I had better luck.  Something made rings and ripples in the surface of the creek without ever showing itself.  


No comments:

Post a Comment