Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Ouch!

Goldfinches came to check on the progress of their sunflower.   A mockingbird had suet.  (The barkbutter balls were rain mush.)  I saw a brown thrasher while I was swimming.  A Carolina wren shared suet with a downy woodpecker.  The woodpecker wasn't a gracious host but the wren didn't care. 

Skippers and other butterflies found the mountain mint.  Bees and wasps went for both rue and mountain mint.  I wonder how they will flavor the honey?  Some of the wasps looked like great golden digger wasps but were too small to be called great.  Red ants dragged a deceased bumblebee across the patio.  They had some trouble when they got to the vegetation.

When I was clearing tree debris from the water, I picked up a handful of pine needles and pecan catkins and got stung.  I didn't see the culprit, but I suspect it was a really small wasp or bee. The cool water eventually soothed the sting.  Two kinds of scarab beetle seem to fall into the water constantly.  One kind are what I call May beetles, and I think the other are shining leaf chafers, though they don't look particularly shiny to me. 

While I was in the pool, the clouds thickened and looked more threatening. It was a god thing that I picked blueberries before swimming.  The rain started shortly after I came inside and continued in waves into the evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment