Monday, April 1, 2024

Buffleheads

The early sun was overtaken by a sheet of thin white.  Sometimes we had sunshine in a hazy sky and sometimes the cloud cover was too thick.  A white breasted nuthatch was an early riser.  It visited the birdbath - first time I'd seen that.  Of course, it also ate seeds.  I hustled out with the bag of mealworms and soon a mockingbird was sampling them.  A bluebird had to see what was available.  The cardinals were still dating.  A brown headed nuthatch was next to appear.  A molting myrtle warbler had some suet.  

It was a very warm day and I was motivated to go shopping at the garden center.  But all I brought home were four packets of seeds.  Two mockingbirds were busy on the patio and one was flashing.  The male red bellied woodpecker was frustrated by a starling on the suet.  The white breasted nuthatch returned.  A blue jay caught me watching it watching.  Toward evening, I spotted buffleheads on the creek, three drakes and six females.  



No comments:

Post a Comment