Sunday, April 21, 2024

Miserable weather

The prediction for today was way off.  The creek was a muddy gray and rough  Instead of partly cloudy, we got chilly, rainy, windy weather.  It was still dry when I got up, so I hustled to put out some barkbutter balls in hopes that birds would entertain us during breakfast.  But by the time I sat down the rain had begun.  The birds did entertain, nevertheless. Mockingbirds were happy with damp barkbutter balls.  So were blue jays.  As he ate seeds, I noticed the male bluebird still had a bent feather.  

A pileated woodpecker checked to see if there was suet.  There wasn't.  The downy and red belly females ate seeds instead.  A white throated sparrow continued to forage on the ground.  This year there have been mostly the high-contrast morph and few if any of the tan morph, I think.  I wonder if that means anything? 

The bluebird and downy woodpecker had a confrontation over the seed perch.  Then a titmouse preempted the downy.  A white breasted nuthatch was content with seeds and a brown headed nuthatch managed to get a turn at the seeds too.  




No comments:

Post a Comment