Sunday, April 28, 2024

Summer!

The female bluebird hoped for something in the hanging dishes, but I was lazy so she ate seeds instead.   A mockingbird had similar hopes and ate suet instead.  Then, to my surprise, a female goldfinch inspected the dishes despite being a vegetarian.  The female pileated was back. 

One of the mockingbirds flashed for me.  A white breasted nuthatch found a perch on a dead dogwood limb.  I also saw a brown headed nuthatch but didn't want to spook it by moving the camera.  A pine warbler landed on the suet.  A white throat studied its reflection, or so it appeared.

 

A butterfly cost me several blurry photos but one served for identification: red admiral.  A startled a skink basking on the retaining wall.  Another peeked out at me from under a violet.  The temperature climbed to at least 83 but a strong breeze made it feel very pleasant.  Cornell's map says Spring bird migration should peak here May 3-8, but I wonder about this spring's topsy-turvy weather. 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment