Monday, September 30, 2024

Gray

It's too bad I was indoors yesterday instead of today.  There was a little rain overnight and overcast skies all day.  The juvenile male cardinal and his mother were back.  The fledgling hovered while the adult sat on the feeder perch and fed him.  Titmice were not impressed.  A white breasted nuthatch waited for a chance at the unoccupied feeder.  

I went swimming despite the cooler air, bugs, and lack of sunshine because it might be the last time this year.  There was a yellow jacket in the skimmer which I very carefully rescued.  Several snails clung to the side of the pool and I found a black swallowtail caterpillar on the bottom.  I also rescued at least eight black ground beetles and one assassin bug nymph.  Reduviidae nymphs look utterly alien.  The white breasted nuthatch came back after I got out.  So did the cardinal mother and son. 




No comments:

Post a Comment