Monday, September 23, 2024

Very froggy

Defying the meteorologists, the sun shone brightly until late afternoon. The creek glowed in reflected dawn light.  Pale blue morning glories peeped out of the vegetation.  It was breezier and not as warm as I would have liked.  The creek overflowed the dock again and flooded our "living shoreline."  After lunch, a yellow crowned night heron hunted along the edge of the flood.  All it found while I watched was some plastic debris.  


The black cat had a good roll in the sun but it didn't stay long.  I decided to get in the water but first I surveyed for frogs and saw three.  Two were sitting on the rescue stick while the third was riding the thermometer.   When I emptied the skimmer I found a fourth.  It appeared overinflated and it seemed lethargic which worried me.  The two on the stick were bigger than the other two.  I caught the frogs and put them outside but I think they jumped back in as soon as I left. 

I glimpsed a few butterflies but not to identify.  A mockingbird flew out of the beautyberry bush while I was in the water.  A few wasps looked for flowers on the mountain mint.  Soaring birds circled very high up.  A downy woodpecker had some seeds and some barkbutter balls.  Brown headed nuthatches stuck with seeds.  Unfortunately, clouds moved in while I was trying to drip dry and I got chilled. 





No comments:

Post a Comment