Monday, August 22, 2011

Glum at first, but got much nicer

The paper claims that only 6/100 of an inch of rain fell yesterday. Bah. It sure looked like more than that here. It is still overcast and quiet (and humid). The sun began to make brief appearances mid-morning. And now (solar noon) it's pretty much sunny.

I need to deal with the hummingbird feeder. Somehow ants have crawled inside and drowned. I think I will try a shallow dish bug feeder to see if I can lure the wasps away from the hummers.

A giant swallowtail flitted all around the yard at lunch time. I saw one a couple of days ago as well. Later, a goldfinch played peek-a-boo with me to get at the sunflowers. 4 frogs were in the pool, easily caught so I suspect the water is not good for them. My theory is they show up after rainy nights, having traveled through the wet grass. A squirrel came to see the floating head and got quite close. A hummer seems to have gotten over the wasp and is using the feeder. And a Halloween pennant dragonfly used the perch as a hunting base.

No comments:

Post a Comment