Friday, August 5, 2011

A little cooler

The sky is patchy with more cloud than blue. A hummer and a titmouse were out early but nothing now except a fat bumblebee on the sunflowers. When I went to refill the hummingbird feeder, I overtightened the old brittle plastic, so I had to make a trip to the hardware store. The feeders these days are far too elaborate, which I suppose is an excuse to charge more.

It's breezy on the creek and I only saw one dragonfly. It zipped off leaving a faint impression of blue. The waterlogged plank that got snagged on a rope is an algae garden which a young crab is grazing.

A mockingbird flashed me on the patio and seems to be spending more time in the yard. The rabbit was nosing around the wooded area, amusingly backlit by the afternoon sun. Its ears glowed. One hummingbird has a perch about 20 feet away in direct flight from which it monitors the feeder for interlopers.

No comments:

Post a Comment