Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Humid but breezy

All the windows were fogged although the temperature outside was as low as inside. The moon is waning gibbous and still visible in the early morning. Last night it was a big pumpkin in the east. The sky in blue, though clouds are condensing over the ocean (I think) and blowing Southwest. I refilled the hummingbird feeder and two of them were arguing over it early. When I went outside I startled goldfinches out of the sunflowers. A black swallowtail was oddly interested in the hibiscus.

Here's the new bunny yesterday afternoon, cropping the black medick. Clearly the rabbits are having two litters a summer here. The bush in the background is the bird-planted Japanese sakaki. It's location seems odd now that the oak is gone - I cannot decide whether to keep it. On the other hand, Wikipedia says it is sacred in the Shinto religion and I certainly don't want to upset any kami that may have taken up residence.

A wasp has discovered the hummingbird feeder and it actually chased off the hummer. I thought hummingbirds were fierce, but apparently not with species that have stingers. The sky has gone all blue, not a cloud in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment