Sunday, August 21, 2011

Still sticky

According to the newspaper, we've mostly made up the rain deficit for this year. Of course, winter rain is better at recharging groundwater and this make-up precipitation has come during the hot months. Thus, stickiness.

The hummers were up before me this morning. And before the wasps, I think. A wren was performing like a diva on the dogwood. I could see its throat swelling as it turned its head up then sideways. Looking for the audience?

I saw a new dragonfly late yesterday. It is smaller than an amberwing but the wings are spotted like a pennant. The closest match seems to be a Band-winged Meadowhawk (Sympetrum semicinctum) but this one looks like the Western rather than the Eastern subspecies.

Mid-afternoon about 17 drops of rain fell. Humpf. Ah, but around 5pm the heavens opened and it has been wet ever since. That may have brought us up to the average annual rainfall. I'll check the paper tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment