Friday, May 11, 2012

Early bird

A rufous-sided towhee was prospecting under the feeder at breakfast.  It was never in a clear spot for a photo, but it's good to know that it's still around.

I refilled the seed feeder and went to put on shoes before rehanging it.  A squirrel found it and proceeded to pack seeds away as fast as it could.  After I rehung the feeder the squirrel searched all over for it and looked very accusingly at me.   It finally seemed to decide that the now hanging feeder was the same object, but of course it couldn't get in.  Then it noticed the seeds I'd scattered below and went to work nosing them out.

Meanwhile the cardinal family arrived.  The male used food to lure the fledgling into the shade whenever it ventured out.  Than made the feed-me behavior harder to photograph, but it was fascinating to see how each was manipulating the other.

And while I sat here typing, a goose family with three goslings invaded the pool. The problem is that the young ones can't always get back out.  Two made it and I netted the third.  The parents gave me a good hissing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment