Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hammering

I hear woodpeckers hammering and also a call I think is a red bellied woodpecker and I get glimpses of red and birds with woodpecker posture.  But none are close enough to be sure.  A chickadee came and hammered on the perch, but it's not the same.  The morning is sunny with sharp-edged clear air.

It's getting hot.  A palamedes swallowtail flitted through and another darner dragonfly.  I caught sight of the male red bellied woodpecker but there may be another species within hearing.  An egret sailed by and of course crows and geese had to have a word.  The hummer came back as did a blue tailed skink. 

In the afternoon, the hummer fed then flew up into the oak.  A red bellied woodpecker flew into the same part of the tree and I swear the hummer drove it off.  The seed feeder has been quiet - too much outside activity or is it empty?  I guess it was me because chickadees are visiting now that I'm inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment