Saturday, November 15, 2014

Heavy clouds from the North

I saw the waning moon when I got up.  Though there were breaks in the clouds, the sun didn't seem to line up with them very often.  The wind made it even colder.  Finches and chickadees visited the feeder.  Cormorants paddled downstream.  A brown pelican made two passes upstream and back.  Several large dark birds, at least one of which was an eagle, circled high above the dam.

The clouds finally cleared in the afternoon but it was still cold and windy.  The caterpillars on the parsley hardly moved.  A yellow jacket landed on the sunny side of the oak and a lacewing (I think) landed on the window.  Ducks paddled around the creek but I couldn't make out any but mallards.  Cormorants were in the air instead of the water.  The surface of the creek looked dusty with floating bits of vegetation. 

I wonder if we'll have frost tonight? 

No comments:

Post a Comment