Friday, November 18, 2016

Sunny and warn

The feeders were ignored except for a downy at the suet.  I glimpsed a hoodie but then a fleet of geese came along and the duck disappeared.  All the action was in the hackberry instead!  Lots of little birds were flitting around.  When I looked at the photos, I discovered they were ruby crowned kinglets apparently attracted to the hackberry berries, or possibly bugs on the berries. 

A white throated sparrow poked around under a dogwood and nearby I spotted the first junco of the season.  Two blue jays swooped past my window.  A mockingbird pranced along the windowsill studying me.  Then I had to leave, but as I locked the door, I startled a red breasted nuthatch among chickadees.

I saw the mockingbird, or another, at lunchtime working on the beauty berries.  After lunch, I went outside.  A paper wasp fed on the milkweed.  I heard a grasshopper stridulating but could not see it.  Small moths and bees flitted around.

The trees were getting quite colorful but the frostbitten morning glory still had blossoms.  A squirrel took a siesta on a small oak branch.  A brown thrasher popped out of the azaleas briefly.  The crows never let up calling. The new neighbors like to fish.  After they left their dock, a male kingfisher perched on the boatlift across the creek, until a returning boater scared it away.  The boater left quite a wake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment