Sunday, October 22, 2017

Blue sky

There were titmice at breakfast.  After that I got too busy to pay attention. After lunch, I went outside. A hawk apparently either gave up or else caught something too small to see.  It dropped out of the trees a couple of backyards away and the flew off upstream.  Since it was behind vegetation, I couldn't see what it was after or whether the prey escaped.  But even after it flew away, there still wasn't much in the way of birds.  I heard a kingfisher and saw mallards, geese, and an egret.

Arthropods were easier to spot. I saw a lot of moths and butterflies but only one question mark let me get a photo.  Several spider webs caught the sunlight.  Unfortunately for the hardworking spiders, the webs also caught leaves and fluff and unrecognizable stuff. 

Yellow jackets prowled in search of food.  I rescued a hornet.  Black ground beetles and other insects were still falling into the water and some found rafts to delay the inevitable.  I was thinking about testing the water myself but a breeze began to diminish the warmth and the shadows quickly moved in. 

A new weeping conk appeared under the oak.  Unlike mushrooms, it didn't seem to have any need of rain. Lots of fluff blew off the saltbush and went everywhere.  I picked milkweed seeds and added to the flying fluff. 


No comments:

Post a Comment