Sunday, October 15, 2017

Sunshine

Another summer day came loose and fell into October.  At breakfast, the sky was still overcast.  Titmice came to the feeder and a blue jay to the meal worms but it saw me and flew away.  A grasshopper landed on a window.  The squirrel with the pale tail and long ears lost her warble and the hair was beginning to grow back where she'd scratched all around the swelling.

The sun returned just before noon but I had an afternoon commitment and thus missed a love afternoon.  It was above 80 when I returned a little before sunset.  I saw a kingfisher zoom past, headed upstream, and heard it cackle.  But when I walked out onto the dock there was no sign of it.  Four geese paddled downstream but the light was too low in that direction.  The saltmarsh fleabane was going to seed and the sassafras was turning orange. 


No comments:

Post a Comment