Monday, October 23, 2017

Cold water

While the sky was gray as predicted, in the morning the clouds were separate and the sun warmed the air.  Unfortunately I spent it mostly inside.  By 3pm the sky was much grayer with dark clouds sliding up underneath from the South.  Some muted sunshine got through between those lower clouds but the wind grew much stronger.  The air was still warm though.  I was determined to use the pool, possibly because I didn't have a thermometer.  But mostly to clean out all the leaves that had blown in.  I did so and got very tired and chilled.  I also hoped to see some birds while half hidden in the water.  I glimpsed a nanosecond streak of kingfisher followed by that delirious cackle.  I did see a red cardinal snacking on purple beauty berries, but he saw me go for the camera.  And that is why all I got were leaves and doomed insects.  I fished out a live spider and cricket, two dead hornets, several drowned yellowjackets, more defunct moths, many dead beetles, and bushels of leaves. There were floating pale yellow, fuzzy balls that I think may be some kind of gall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment