Monday, October 2, 2017

Blue sky

The sun shone and the wind gentled, but it was still chilly. The Argiope disappeared, leaving its web intact and a well-protected egg sack nearby.  The orchard spider was undisturbed.  Birds were elusive except the seed eaters like titmice.  Squirrels looked liked zombies with their skin showing in patches around the warbles. 

I rescued a couple of caterpillars, though perhaps I shouldn't have left them free to eat my plants.  One was all white and fuzzy and I thought it was drowned till it moved.  My best guess was Virginian tiger moth, AKA yellow woolly-bear, but that's not certain.   The other caterpillar was something I've seen before, much smaller and velvety black. I also saved a ground beetle. 

A large jellyfish was slowly pulsating between the two posts beside the dock.  The stinkhorn fungi all dried up. I saw a dragonfly and a butterfly in the Central Library parking lot but didn't get an ID on either. 


No comments:

Post a Comment