Friday, February 23, 2018

Fog

A cold front moved through overnight dropping the temperature into the 40s and making a thick mist.  The first bird I saw was a pileated woodpecker.  It saw me going for the camera and flew off.  But it came back repeatedly and brought its mate.  I finally got pictures through the window over the sink. 

In between, we had red bellied woodpeckers and downy woodpeckers, and of course starlings.  Blue jays emptied the dish of bark butter balls.  A flock of juncos joined the white throats on the ground.  The yellow rumped warblers yearned after the suet and chased each other away. A Carolina wren showed up very late in the day.  And a pine warbler also slipped in late. 

On the creek I saw gulls, red breasted mergansers, and pelicans.  Cormorants and shovelers were up on the lake. Later I saw a coot. The mist which had thinned out in the afternoon returned in the evening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment