Friday, February 16, 2018

GBBC day 1

It was fairly disappointing.  For much of the day very few birds visited. I reported a measly nine species.  I did see more at other times but too scattered to report.  

One yellow rumped warblers continued to chase the other.  Carolina wrens ignored this and concentrated on food.  The male red bellied woodpecker posed nicely.  A white throated sparrow turned its head 180.  Downy woodpeckers came in the afternoon.  There were bugs flying and a bird I suspect was a warbler was catching them. 

By lunch time the sky was getting dramatic and there were showers in the afternoon.  I counted a dozen turtles out on logs on the lake.  Two cormorants were perched on the same dead wood. Later I saw five or six, but the turtles were gone.  Pelicans did more fly-bys than plunges.  Three buzzards circled over the creek and moved on.  A heron stood on the dock bench. 

No comments:

Post a Comment