Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Overcast

The male downy woodpecker was earnestly stuffing himself with suet when I sat down with my cereal.  But soon, a male red bellied woodpecker displaced the downy.  I put out mealworms and a squirrel promptly sat in the dish to eat them.  White throated sparrows prospected under the feeders.  And the yellow rumped warbler kept watch on the suet while the bigger birds ate. 

When I came home with my hair cut, I walked around to see what the rain had done.  I found a few little feathers in the driveway which I hope were not a clue to murder.  A female sapsucker drilled the pecan.  A few juncos poked at the mulch, looking for lunch. 

After lunch, I saw a turtle on their favorite log in the lake.  There were at least three pelicans fishing the creek. 

In the late afternoon, I watched a male pine warbler on the suet, waiting for the butterbutt to chase it off.  But when a yellow rump appeared, it just poked the mulch.  (I believe there are two butterbutts and only one is a bully.)  The pine warbler flew off anyway.  But that may have been because a male red bellied woodpecker was headed over. 

The overcast broke apart and colored up for sunset, but half an hour later there was a light rain shower. 


No comments:

Post a Comment