Saturday, February 24, 2018

Hot again

No birds at breakfast, no suet either.  I bought some cheaper suet which I hope will discourage starlings.  The trick is to leave it in the plastic tray with the open side facing down.  We will see.  The dwarf daffodils opened while the larger ones danced in the wind.  Wild cherry leaves began to sprout. 

After lunch the Canada geese were feeling horny and not because they honk.  One was angry with another goose and rushed through the water with head and neck level and just above the surface.  A female hoodie paddled alone but at least four female red breasted mergansers fished together. 

A butterbutt did not seem to understand the new suet arrangement.  It or another moved to the front yard feeder.  A female red bellied woodpecker was more put off by me.  A titmouse also kept a watchful eye on me but the chickadees and house finches didn't care.  I saw a few white throats. 

Wasps, bees, moths and butterflies, and unidentified insects were all flying. A dozen or more turtles basked on logs along the lake.  I am no longer surprised that one fell in the pool a year ago.  I saw quite a few periwinkles on the old marsh grass.  There were lots of fresh crab burrows in the mud.

The 80°F high this day was not a record because the temperature hit 82° in 2012.  And still the deniers deny. 


No comments:

Post a Comment