Monday, July 2, 2018

Cherry season

Squirrels and birds discovered the first wild cherries to turn ripe black.  The male goldfinch was back for a drink from the ant moat.  The first hibiscus blossoms appeared, but alas, the leaves were already eaten to lace.  Two house wrens checked out the feeders, but one flew off before the camera was ready.  A carpenter bee fed on the mint and the two black swallowtail caterpillars continued to strip the parsley.  .

A bright red dragonfly sailed over the pool but I missed it.  Blue dashers and others I didn't get a good look at were all around.  Bluebirds were busy during our meeting but disappeared when I had time and the camera.  But then I caught the male in the cherry tree.  I also caught a blue jay raiding the bark butter balls.  Then a juvenile red bellied woodpecker attacked the cherries.


No comments:

Post a Comment