Monday, July 9, 2018

Into the water

Today was less windy despite tropical storm Chris squatting on the Gulf Stream about at the latitude of Savannah.  The wrens stayed busy.  A hummer investigated the hibiscus.  A titmouse got away from me in a blur.  The dragonfly that got the top seat on the pine candle today was a four spotted pennant.  A bluebird replaced the dragonfly on top of the pine.  Another (or the same) four spotted pennant perched on a dead groundsel in the late afternoon.

Meanwhile a widow skimmer perched down low on the wire hanger for the dish of bark butter balls.  Then a blue jay landed to raid the feeder and startled the dragonfly.  The dragonfly startled the jay and both fled.  

At lunch time an osprey landed in the pines out of sight, but I could hear it.  A great crested flycatcher landed in the cherry.  Some small butterflies and a tiger swallowtail flitted around.  And then I went swimming!  It took a lot of advance planning and I took lots I did not need, but still,  I got in the pool for the first time this year.  The sky was intensely blue, almost ultraviolet, and I worried a little about sunburn. 

I fished out a tiny, drowned cicada that I think was a hieroglyphic cicada.  I'd never seen one that small.  For comparison, I laid it on a single wing I found floating.  There weren't many live insects to rescue, just a few tiny wasps.  But when I got out, a bee fell in.  It tried so hard to survive that I fished it out at considerable risk to my healing foot.  A spider scampered over the water and seemed fine with being there so I left it alone.  The wrens came and went despite my proximity, but mostly when I was looking elsewhere. 


No comments:

Post a Comment