Friday, July 27, 2018

Still dry

The clouds looked fierce but no rain fell. The wrens left the birdhouse yesterday.  I saw them around the yard. I rescued a couple of spiders and was too late for a camel cricket and an amberwing.  A few small butterflies were around and I glimpsed a monarch while swimming. Dragonflies were everywhere.  A leafcutter bee worked on the milkweed. 

I also saw what I think was a night heron, though it looked like an animated mop, up in the trees whistling.  A great egret stalked the dam outfall. 

A male ruby throat tried to feed but the female(s) interfered.  I wonder it he was already migrating South?  A female hovered around the red cedar as they do occasionally.  That behavior is still a mystery. 

I found two caterpillars on the rue.  The larger definitely appeared to be a giant swallowtail while the smaller could have been either that or a black swallowtail. 

After sunset there were frequent lightning flashes over the bay.  The camera saw it quite differently from my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment