Saturday, January 12, 2019

Cold and dull

An overcast sky gave insufficient light for decent photos during my hurried breakfast.  And what few birds I saw were scared off by the feral cat. I had appointments and errands all morning, but that included buying more bark butter tubs and suet. 

When I got home for lunch, it was still cold and gray, but the birds were feasting. A red winged blackbird was sitting on the suet, flaunting his epaulettes.  Warblers, both pine and myrtle, competed with the orioles and downy woodpeckers for suet. 

Two Carolina wrens examined everything.  Red breasted nuthatches hammered seeds in a blur.  Titmice mostly watched.  White throated sparrows foraged in the mulch.  Crows hung around but I didn't give them any more encouragement. 

The squirrels were in love, except when they spied something to eat.  Several pairs of hoodies were visible on the unruffled creek.  Later in the afternoon, juncos showed up.


No comments:

Post a Comment