Friday, January 18, 2019

Too much time inside

I saw lots of birds while the camera was at the other end of the house: a goldfinch and a pine warbler, white throats, and a downy woodpecker at breakfast.  During lunch, a myrtle warbler, a Carolina wren, a robin, a blue jay, and a female oriole checked out the sparse offerings.  Sparse because I'm still discouraging the starlings and crows. Two pelicans flew low and close upstream.  Bufflehead drakes sparkled on the creek. As I was leaving in the afternoon, I saw a nuthatch, but it got away un-photographed.  Only when I got home at sunset did I get any pictures.

Clouds on the horizon were strongly colored. The moon was near enough to full to show much of its face, but still angled enough for shadows to show the craters.  Cormorants flew North to their roost.  A great blue heron watched from the neighboring dock.  Pelicans continued to fish into the twilight.  A diving duck popped up in the water but it was too dark to say which kind.  The sweet alyssum was still blooming and the Carolina jessamine started a few flowers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment